About Confident Kids Camp DC Metro
Confident Kids Camp DC Metro August 1-5, 2022 is in In-Person and we can’t wait!
Confident Kids Camp is a 5-day, intensive therapy program designed to help prepare children with Selective Mutism for the new school year.
The Rockville Therapy Center LLC is proud to bring the Confident Kids Camp for Selective Mutism, a well-established, Michigan-based program by Dr. Aimee Kotrba, to the DC metro area! While years of research have found typical therapy (weekly sessions in a clinical setting) to be beneficial in treating Selective Mutism, many practitioners have noticed a missing component – generalizing these gains to the school setting in an intensive manner. This intensive treatment camp allows 30 hours of effective treatment to be provided in a week versus the typical treatment of 1 hour per week. Thus, children with Selective Mutism can “get better” faster!
- More rapid improvements and better generalization of gains to school setting than traditional therapy
- Cost effective – more than half the cost of 30 hours of traditional therapy!
- Simulated classroom environment provides your child with a jump-start into the upcoming school year!
- Fun community field trips allow practice in real-world environments
- One-on-one behavioral therapy, group therapeutic techniques, and parent training to empower parents to continue brave work after camp is over
- Access to an expert for out-of-town families.
Confident Kids Camp-DC Metro is an intensive, behaviorally-based intervention for kids with Selective Mutism that focuses on generalizing speech outside of the clinic setting and directly toward the school setting. Classrooms will be divided by age, with children ages 4-7 in one classroom and ages 8-11 in a separate classroom. Children younger and older than these ages will be considered on an individual basis. Parents do not attend with children.
Your child will have the opportunity to practice throughout the day with numerous times with numerous new adults and children under controlled, structured conditions that encourage talking and genuine interactions.
The Confident Kids summer camp is intentionally scheduled for right before the beginning of a new school year to help students easily transition their new skills from from camp to their classroom setting.
Camp is held Monday- Friday from 8:30am-2:30pm [COVID-19 Protocol occurs at 8:15am]. Camp is typically held in the first week of August.
Rockville Presbyterian Cooperative Nursery School
215 West Montgomery Avenue
Rockville, Md 20850
A typical camp day includes:
- Morning meeting time or circle time
- Arts and crafts
- Peer play or group interaction
- Show-and-tell or oral presentations
- Lunchtime in a simulated cafeteria
- Field trips and recess
- Other classroom activities
As noted before, each activity is an opportunity to practice being “brave,” decrease anxiety, and increase verbal communication and engagement with both peers and adults.
Not only does the camp provide individualized treatment for children, but “parent training” is also included in the price of the camp. Each day while children are in camp, Dr. Scharfstein will teach you strategies to successfully decrease your child’s anxiety and increase his or her communication. Although not a requirement, it is a real benefit for campers’ parents.