Meet the Team
Lindsay Scharfstein, Ph.D.
Welcome to the Rockville Therapy Center! I'm so lucky to work with wonderful and highly motivated children, teens, adults, and families. I find joy in helping others to foster a healthy mindset, change unhelpful behavior patterns, and gain mastery of emotions and experiences. My aim is to offer effective Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) that is grounded in scientific research and is delivered in a practical, personalized and collaborative way. I am passionate about promoting mental health equity, increasing access to care, and creating systems driven by anti-racist values. I look forward to hearing from you!
Education and Formal Training
- Pre and Post Doctoral Fellowships, Yale Child Study Center
- PhD Clinical Psychology, University of Central Florida
- MS Clinical Psychology, University of Central Florida
- BA Psychology, University of Maryland, College Park
- Selective Mutism Proficiency Program (SMPP)
- Exposure with Response Prevention for OCD (ERP)
- Tourette's Syndrome Behavior Therapy Institute (CBIT)
- Trauma-Focused, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
- Supportive Parenting for Anxiety Childhood Emotions (SPACE)
- Regular consultation and training on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) practices
- Maryland, Licensed Psychologist, #05584
- Virginia, Licensed Clinical Psychologist, #0810006439
- Telepsychology (APIT) under the PSYPACT* Commission E. Passport issued 7/9/21 Mobility Number #8560; See a full list of PsyPact States
Experience & Training
In addition to the above training, I provide the following:
- Parent Training/Support Sessions and Social Skills Training
- Specialization in the treatment of Selective Mutism and Social Anxiety Disorder, and treatments aimed to enhance social and emotional functioning.
- Assessment, treatment, and continuing care of pre-schoolers, school-age children, teens, and adults whose lives are affected by anxiety and related conditions.
- Specialized psychological assessments for individuals with anxiety disorders, to help obtain accurate diagnoses and develop personalized treatment plans.
- Confident Kids Camp - DC Metro, a 5-day intensive behavioral camp for childhood Selective Mutism
- The School Refusal Training Series (SRTI) for professionals who work with students who refuse school.
Treatment is provided in individual, family, group, and intensive therapy formats. I engage in ongoing communication with family, school, and community systems to foster collaborative relationships and optimize treatment success and quality of life. Further, I offer educational workshops and trainings within the community, with the goal of decreasing the stigma surrounding mental health and increasing access to care.
Outside of Work
I enjoy biking, hiking, and kayaking, doing jigsaw puzzles and embroidery, and spending time with those I am closest to. The DC Metro area has so much to offer!
Armahn Rassuli, Client Coordinator
Armahn is a 3rd year Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology at George Washington University. He works as an extern at Catholic University's Counseling Center along with his Client Coordinator role here at Rockville Therapy Center. Armahn has had experience working with a variety of community mental health centers across Virginia, DC, and Maryland. In his free time he loves to read, spend time with others, and play video games.
Join Our Team!
We are always interested in therapists whose mission and values are in sync with ours. We value creating a team of clinicians and trainees that hold a variety of socio-cultural identities and are actively engaged in efforts towards allyship for BIPOC communities and others who hold minoritized identities.
Now Hiring Child, Teen, and CBT Therapists
The ideal candidate has experience and training with childhood, adolescent, and young adult mental health, a strong background in evidence-based treatments, such as CBT, PCIT or PCIT-SM, CBIT, SPACE, ACT, and works with an emphasis on collaborative and comprehensive care (schools, pediatricians, and psychiatrists). We are most interested in clinicians with a passion for selective mutism, tics or Tourette's, social anxiety, OCD, and related concerns. If this does not quite fit in line with your current background and training, please feel free to reach out anyway. Send your CV and cover letter to Dr. Lindsay Scharfstein at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Now Hiring A Selective Mutism Camp Coordinator
The Confident Kids Camp DC Metro is an intensive behavioral treatment program for children with selective mutism and/or several social anxiety. The Camp Coordinator responsibilities include:
- Creating and updating flyers and other materials about Camp to prospective children and families, volunteers, and referring sources (e.g., schools, clinicians).
- Serve as primary point-of-contact with prospective and enrolled Camp families, volunteers, and community guests (e.g., firefighter, ices truck) before, during, and immediately after camp
- Attending all meetings with Camp leadership
- Creating and updating scripts used by teachers and volunteers when interacting with camp families
- Assisting with the interviews and training for volunteers
- Collaborating on presentations and conference submissions as desired
The weeklong camp is typically held in the first week of August. There is a possibility of mini-camps throughout the year. The ideal candidate is enthusiastic, self-driven, and communicative, with experience working with children and families. The position is available for someone who holds a bachelor's degree in psychology or related field, with preference for a masters or doctoral degree in progress or completed. Currently, the role is 20 hours per month, with more hours required directly before and during each camp.
To apply, please email your CV and cover letter to Dr. Lindsay Scharfstein at email@example.com.