Meet Lindsay Scharfstein, PhD
Welcome to the Rockville Therapy Center! I’m so lucky to work with wonderful and highly motivated children, teens, adults, and families. I find joy in helping others to foster a healthy mindset, change unhelpful behavior patterns, and gain mastery of emotions and experiences. My aim is to offer effective Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) that is grounded in scientific research and is delivered in a practical, personalized and collaborative way. I look forward to hearing from you!
Education and Formal Training
- Pre and Post Doctoral Fellowships, Yale Child Study Center
- PhD Clinical Psychology, University of Central Florida
- MS Clinical Psychology, University of Central Florida
- BA Psychology, University of Maryland, College Park
- Selective Mutism Proficiency Program (SMPP)
- Exposure with Response Prevention for OCD (ERP)
- Tourette’s Syndrome Behavior Therapy Institute (CBIT)
- Trauma-Focused, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TF-CBT)
- Supportive Parenting for Anxiety Childhood Emotions (SPACE)
- Maryland, Licensed Psychologist, #05584
- Virginia, Licensed Clinical Psychologist, #0810006439
Experience & Training
In addition to the above training, I provide the following:
- Parent Training/Support Sessions and Social Skills Training
- Specialization in the treatment of Selective Mutism and Social Anxiety Disorder, and treatments aimed to enhance social and emotional functioning.
- Assessment, treatment, and continuing care of pre-schoolers, school-age children, teens, and adults whose lives are affected by anxiety and related conditions.
- Specialized psychological assessments for individuals with anxiety disorders, to help obtain accurate diagnoses and develop personalized treatment plans.
- Confident Kids Camp – DC Metro, a 5-day intensive behavioral camp for childhood Selective Mutism
- The School Refusal Training Series (SRTI) for professionals who work with students who refuse school.
Treatment is provided in individual, family, group, and intensive therapy formats. I engage in ongoing communication with family, school, and community systems to foster collaborative relationships and optimize treatment success and quality of life. Further, I offer educational workshops and trainings within the community, with the goal of decreasing the stigma surrounding mental health and increasing access to care.
Outside of Work
I enjoy biking, hiking, and kayaking, doing jigsaw puzzles and embroidery, and spending time with those I am closest to. The DC Metro area has so much to offer!